The United States Motor Company assumes control of 130 firms, including Maxwell-Briscoe, Brush, Dayton and Courier, but only Brush and Maxwell-Briscoe were profitable. The firm also retains control of the Selden patent.
Chalmers, Thomas and Hudson become independent companies as Hugh Chalmers, E. R. Thomas and Roy Chapin dispose of their holdings in each other’s companies.
Chalmers-Detroit drops “Detroit” from its name.
Hudson builds a new assembly plant across the street from the Chalmers plant on Detroit’s east side.
K. T. Keller becomes Chief Inspector at the Maxwell-Briscoe plant in Tarrytown, New York.
The Dodge brothers build a new plant in Hamtramck, Michigan.
Alden-Sampson production moves to Detroit, but by year-end the Sampson vehicle is dead and Maxwell-Briscoe begins using the plant.
Ford Motor Company wins a major legal challenge to the Selden patent, rendering the patent worthless.
Walter Chrysler is hired by Charles Nash, President of Buick Motor Company, as Works Manager in Flint, Michigan.
Columbia markets the Columbia-Knight with a 410 CID Knight sleeve-valve engine. Stoddard introduces a 525 CID sleeve-valve Stoddard-Knight.
Benjamin Briscoe leaves the United States Motor Company to form Briscoe Motor Company in Jackson, Michigan.
United States Motor Company collapses.
Frederick Haynes joins Dodge Brothers.
K. T. Keller leaves Maxwell-Briscoe to become General Superintendent of Northway Motors, a subsidiary of General Motors.
The Maxwell-Briscoe Company becomes the Standard Motor Company, incorporated in Delaware and headed by Walter Flanders.
The Columbia, Brush, Stoddard and Courier makes all end production.
Maxwell uses the former Stoddard plant in Dayton to assemble the Maxwell 35 and the former Flanders plant in Detroit to assemble the Maxwell Six. The company also retains the Maxwell parts plant in New Castle, Indiana.
A new Maxwell 25 enters production in the summer of 1913 as a 1914 model; the design will last until the end of the company in 1925.
Fred Zeder becomes a consulting engineer for Studebaker.
Dodge Brothers, Inc. is formed and begins development work on the new Dodge automobile. When asked why the Dodge brothers wanted to build their own car, John Dodge replies, “Just think of all the Ford owners who will someday want an automobile.” Dodge Brothers ends its contract with Ford Motor Company as Ford begins building its own engines.
Fred Zeder becomes Chief Engineer at Studebaker.
Carl Breer joins Studebaker as an engineer.
From All-Steel to True Unit Bodies, 1914-1960 (pdf) Chrysler Corporation: The Official History by Charles K. Hyde
Dodge cars become the U. S. Army’s first gasoline-powered combat vehicles during a battle against Pancho Villa in Mexico.
Charles Nash resigns as President of Buick Motor Company and General Motors and is succeeded as Buick’s President by Walter Chrysler.
Graham Brothers, Inc. is formed in Evansville, Indiana to build trucks on Ford and other manufacturer’s chassis.
Charles Nash purchases the Thomas B. Jeffery Company and forms Nash Motors; Walter Chrysler is invited to join the firm but decides to stay with Buick.
Dodge Brothers adopts Budd-built all-steel body for touring cars.
Owen Skelton joins Studebaker.
Chrysler History - Chrysler’s Corporate Origins (pdf) Chrysler Corporation: The Official History by Charles K. Hyde
With Chalmers production sagging and Maxwell production rising, an agreement is reached to build Maxwell cars in the Chalmers plant on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit. In return, Chalmers cars will be sold through Maxwell dealers.
The first Dodge Brothers commercial truck is built (as a 1918 model).
K. T. Keller is appointed Master Mechanic for the Buick Motor Company.
Walter Chrysler resigns as President of Buick and as Vice-President of General Motors.
K. T. Keller becomes Vice-President and General Manager of Chevrolet Motor Company of Canada, Ltd.
Henry Ford purchases stock of minority shareholders of Ford Motor Company, including the holdings of John and Horace Dodge, who collect $9 million.
Willys-Overland buys out the Duesenberg brothers to acquire their Elizabeth, New Jersey, plant.